This morning I started my day by dutifully responding to the notification in Visual Studio that a new version was available for installation. I sat back for the couple of minutes it took to install then got on with my work.

Next, I turned to my command prompt to run some dotnet CLI commands and was hit by the following error:

The specified framework version '2.0' could not be parsed
The specified framework 'Microsoft.NETCore.App', version '2.0' was not found.
  - Check application dependencies and target a framework version installed at:
  - Alternatively, install the framework version '2.0'.

Strange! This was working yesterday and I've made no changes other than to install the latest update to Visual Studio.

After a little googling I tried explicitly specifying the latest SDK version I have installed by adding the following into my .csproj: <RuntimeFrameworkVersion>2.0.3</RuntimeFrameworkVersion>

So, the top of my .csproj now looks like this:


Now my CLI commands are working again.

I'm not sure what's changed to cause this and I am assuming that is was the upgrade of my Visual Studio simply because I'm not aware of anyting else changing on my machine.

But, I could be wrong...